Senior Syrian diplomat in London resigned
Syria’s top diplomat in London has resigned, saying he can no longer represent the regime of President Bashar al-Assad because of its violent acts, Britain’s Foreign Office says.
The Foreign Office said on Monday that charge d’affaires Khaled al-Ayoubi “has told us that he is no longer willing to represent a regime that has committed such violent and oppressive acts against its own people”.
“Mr al-Ayoubi was the most senior Syrian diplomat serving in London. His departure is another blow to the Assad regime,” the Foreign Office said in a statement.
“It illustrates the revulsion and despair the regime’s actions are provoking amongst Syrians from all walks of life, inside the country and abroad.”
It added: “We urge others around Bashar al-Assad to follow Mr al-Ayoubi’s example; to disassociate themselves from the crimes being committed against the Syrian people and to support a peaceful and free future for Syria.”
The move comes after a series of defections by senior Syrian officials in recent weeks, including diplomats in several countries and top army officers.
Britain expelled the previous Syrian charge d’affaires, Ghassan Dalla, and two other diplomats in May.
Syria had earlier withdrawn its ambassador from London.
- Fast & Furious 6 Movie Clip – London Race (2013) – Vin Diesel Movie HD
- DJ Jazzy Jeff & Will Smith’s HIt Album Recorded in 2 Weeks
- Chris Martin — World’s Most Beautiful Shirtless Husband
- Dirty Wars TRAILER 1 (2013) – War Documentary HD
- Only God Forgives Red Band TRAILER 1 (2013) – Ryan Gosling, Kristin Scott Thomas Thriller HD
- TMZ Live — Justin Bieber — The Spit Plot Thickens
- Welcome to the Punch Movie CLIP – Hotel Shootout (2013) – James McAvoy Movie HD
- Welcome to the Punch TV SPOT – In Cinemas Now (2013) – James McAvoy Movie HD
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey London Premiere Highlights (2012) HD
- UK radical islamist cleric asks court to halt extradition